Increased competition for consumer dollars means we need to promote flowers as the gift of choice more than ever. Working toward this goal, in March 2001 SAF established the SAF Fund for Nationwide Public Relations. This industry-wide fund supports the development of innovative public relations programs to reach millions of consumers with positive messages about the unique benefits of flowers and the expertise of professional florists.
- SAF member retailers are contributing through their SAF membership dues.
- Click here for a list of those making voluntary contributions:
- Wholesalers are contributing 5 cents per box of hard goods purchased from participating suppliers.
- Suppliers are handling the collections from wholesalers and can provide a matching level of funds.
- Growers, importers and other industry associations are making annual contributions.
What is Public Relations?
The sole purpose of this fund is to educate consumers about floral gifts (through innovative public relations campaigns and social media programs), teach them why they should always buy flowers and plants from a professional florist, and vigorously market our industry to the buying public.
The program is PUBLIC RELATIONS, not advertising. Smart public relations can go a long way with a limited budget. A great example is SAF’s Emotional Impact of Flowers Study with Rutgers University, which provides scientific evidence that flowers make people happy and increase life satisfaction.
Another example is SAF’s Petal It Forward campaign, showcasing the benefits of flowers in a creative way and generating key news coverage. This is a program in which anybody in the industry can participate!
SAF has taken these great messages to the consumer media and it has paid off big for the industry through television, radio, newspaper and magazine coverage.
Click here for information on SAF’s consumer programs — a direct result of the SAF Fund for Nationwide Public Relations.
Click here to see the media coverage generated by the SAF PR Fund.