Are you active in a community service organization? Has your company been in business since 1918? If you answered yes to either question (or both), consider applying for recognition in the American Academy of Floriculture and the Century Award.
The Society of American Florists recognizes excellence in the floral industry with a range of awards and professional designations, and March 1 is the deadline to apply for two of them: the American Academy of Floriculture and the Century Award.
The American Academy of Floriculture (AAF) honors SAF members who have committed their time and energy to both the floral industry and their communities. The application requires community and industry service documentation and two recommendation letters from AAF members. Click here for the AAF application.
The Century Award recognizes businesses and organizations that have served the floral industry for 100 years or more. The application requires documentation of the company’s history, awards received and previous owners. Click here for the Century Award application.
SAF will honor the recipients at its Stars of the Industry Awards Dinner during SAF Palm Springs 2018, the association’s 134th Annual Convention, Sept. 12-15, 2018 at the Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage, California.
Due to the cancelation of SAF Palm Beach 2017, which was to be held in last September in Florida, the 2017 AAF inductees and 2017 Century Award recipients will be celebrated alongside the 2018 honorees at SAF Palm Springs 2018.
The 2017 AAF honorees are:
- Maggie Binet, AAF, AIFD, CPF, PFCI, of Le Jardin Binet in Englewood, Colorado
- Zoë Prosser Gallina, AAF, of Botanica International Design Studio in Tampa, Florida
- Jodi McShan, AAF of McShan Florist Inc., in Dallas, Texas
- Lynne Tischler, AAF, CPFD, PFCI of Your Enchanted Florist in St. Paul, Minnesota
The 2017 Century Award honorees are:
- Johnston’s Quality Flowers in Fort Smith, Arkansas
- Mitchell’s Flowers and Events in Orland Park, Illinois
- Wistinghausen Florist & Greenhouse in Oak Harbor, Ohio
Also, SAF’s 2018 inductees in Professional Floral Communicators-International will be honored along with the 2017 PFCI honorees. The 2018 PFCI application deadline was Jan. 31. The 2017 PFCI honorees are:
- Lesleighan Cravens, CFD, PFCI, of Tiger Garden in Columbia, Missouri
- Christopher Drummond, AAF, PFCI, of Plaza Flowers in Norristown, Pennsylvania
- Shawn Michael Foley, AIFD, PFCI, of HotHouse Design Studio in Birmingham, Alabama
- Julia YoungJu Kim, AIFD, PFCI, Hotel Inter-Burgo Exco FlowerShop in Deagu, South Korea
- Rocio Silva, AIFD, PFCI, of Instituto Mexicano Tecnio Floral in Monterrey, Nuevo leon, Mexico
- Lynne Tischler, AAF, CPFD, PFCI, of Your Enchanted Florist in St. Paul, Minnesota
SAF will celebrate the 2017 Alex Laurie Award recipient Paul A. Thomas, Ph.D., professor in the University of Georgia’s horticulture department.
SAF will announce and honor the 2017 Tommy Bright, Paul Ecke Jr., John H. Walker and Floriculture Hall of Fame Awards at SAF Palm Springs 2018.
On the horizon is SAF’s Floral Management Marketer of the Year application. The deadline to apply for this honor is June 1. Judges look for unique, innovative and successful marketing efforts undertaken in the last 5 years to increase sales, customer base and/or customer perception of a business, including but not limited to advertising, direct mail, public relations, merchandising and display and image enhancement. The entry form requires a narrative of the campaign’s successes and sample sets of promotional materials if any were used. Click here for the Marketer of the Year application. The 2018 Marketer of the Year will be revealed at the Marketing Breakfast during SAF Palm Springs 2018.
For information about SAF awards, contact SAF’s Jenester Corbin 703-838-5234; firstname.lastname@example.org.