As the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program 2 (CFAP 2) continues to distribute money to domestic floral growers hit hard during the pandemic, SAF will offer growers tips on navigating the application process on Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 3:00 ET.
SAF’s Senior Lobbyist Joe Bischoff and growers who have received money from the program will lead the discussion, followed by a Q&A period.
The webinar will:
- Provide background on how and why floriculture was included in the CFAP aid program
- Cover who qualifies for the program and walk through the typical steps of the application process
- Explain differences in the aid calculation formulas between CFAP 1 and 2
- Provide resources that growers can use apply and to find additional information
- Share SAF grower experiences with the application process and payment receipt
The funding approach for CFAP 2 differs significantly from CFAP 1. Payments for floriculture and nursery crops eligible for CFAP 2 will be equal to the amount of the producer’s eligible sales in calendar year 2019, multiplied by the payment rate for that range. (See payment table for rates). Growers who did not hit the payment cap in the first round of CFAP aid will most likely see larger payouts under this new approach. CFAP 1 and 2 mark the first time USDA has ever provided direct assistance to the floral industry, driven in large part by SAF’s advocacy work on Capitol Hill and with the USDA.
USDA will accept CFAP 2 applications through Dec. 11, 2020. Join us on Oct. 20 to jumpstart your application and learn the secrets to navigating CFAP. To learn more or apply for aid, go to farmers.gov/cfap.
Katie Butler is the senior vice president of the Society of American Florists.