To recognize the growing importance of association executives in the workings of the Society of American Florists and to honor the contributions of SAF’s former long-time Executive Vice President, John H. Walker. In 1979, after his retirement from SAF, the John H. Walker award was first given to honor him.
- Recipients must be employed (i.e. paid staff) by a member association of SAF.
- Recipients must have a minimum of three years continuous service with a member association.
The Awards Committee Will Specifically Consider
- Creative and substantial implementation of industry and SAF-sponsored programs beneficial to member associations (and their individual members) and our various other publics.
- Enrollment or attendance at professional schools, seminars, meetings or courses which tend to contribute to an executive’s ability to better serve member associations and their members.
- The nominee’s service in leadership positions in professional societies and organizations dedicated to professionalism in association management.
- The nominee’s involvement in civic and community organizations.
- Evidence of a nominee’s sharing his management skill and abilities with associations and association executives.
- The nominee’s contributions and achievements to his or her association.
John Walker Award Recipients
2019 – No Recipient Chosen
2018 – No Recipient Chosen
2017 – Christine Boldt
2016 – No Recipient Chosen
2015 – Lin Schmale, Society of American Florists
2014 – No Recipient Chosen
2013 – Russ Barley, AAF, AIFD, CFD, FSMD, Emerald Coast Flowers & Gifts
2012 – No Recipient Chosen
2011 – No Recipient Chosen
2010 – No Recipient Chosen
2009 – DuVal “Butch” Johnston, AAF Johnston’s Quality Flowers, Inc.
2008 – No Recipient Chosen
2007 – Drew N. Gruenburg, Society of American Florists
2006 – Augusto Solano, Asocolflores
2005 – Rodney Crittenden, Michigan Floral Association
2004 – James Wanko, Wholesale Florist & Florist Supplier Assn.
2003 – Benjamin Bolusky, Florida Nurseryman & Growers Assn.
2002 – Robert Otsuka, California Flower Market
2001 – Dennis Kirven, Ohio Florists’ Association
2000 – No Recipient Chosen
1999 – Peter J. Moran, Society of American Florists
1998 – No Recipient Chosen
1997 – Dianna L. Doss, Texas State Florists’ Assn.
1996 – Bob Heffernan, Connecticut State Florists’ Assn.
1995 – Thomas C. Shaner, AIFD
1994 – Archie J. Clapp, WF&FSA
1993 – Steven Brickner, AAF, AIFD, PFCI
1992 – Bob Briggs Colorado Greenhouse Growers Assn.
1991- William Carl Plummer, Arkansas Florists’ Association
1990 – Donna Cameron, Northwest Florists’ Association
1989 – Robert Heron, Professional Allied Florists of Metro Detroit
1988 – Wil Carlson, Bedding Plants, Inc.
1987 – Jim and Gen McCarthy, AAF North Central Florists’ Assn.
1986 – Floyd W. Johnson, Greater Milwaukee Florists’ Assn.
1985 – Dr. Harry Tayama, AAF Ohio Florists Association
1984 – Melvin H. Schwanke, AAF Nebraska Florist Society
1983 – Michael A. Caliandro, AAF California State Florists Assn.
1982 – Mildred P. Michie, Professional Florists of Mississippi Valley
1981- Charles Barr, AAF, Connecticut Florists Association
1980 – James Krone, AAF, Roses, Inc.
1979 – Richard G. Klingman, Colorado Flower Growers Association American Carnation Society