Do you love talking about flowers, floral design or the business of flowers? Do you present programs to garden clubs or other professionals? Then you’re three-quarters of the way to earning the PFCI designation from Professional Floral Communicators-International. The only thing left to do: fill out an application.
The PFCI membership application deadline is the first submission deadline for the Society of American Florists’ 2018 Awards.
SAF recognizes excellence in the floral industry with a range of awards and professional designations and will bestow its 2018 honors during the Stars of the Industry Awards Dinner at SAF Palm Springs 2018, SAF’s 134th Annual Convention, Sept. 12-15, 2018 at the Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage, California.
Apply today for a number of SAF awards and designations.
- Professional Floral Communicators-International: PFCI is the service mark of the floral industry’s finest floral educators. Each member of the organization has proven their ability to speak authoritatively about topics pertinent to the floral industry. The PFCI application requires documentation of presentation and publication experience, and an audition DVD. PFCI application deadline: Jan. 31.
- American Academy of Floriculture: AAF has carried out SAF’s effort to encourage, measure and recognize those members who have committed their time and energy to both the floral industry and their local communities. The application requires community and industry service documentation and two recommendation letters from AAF members. AAF application deadline: March 1.
- Century Award: Any business or organization that has served the floral industry for 100 years or longer qualifies. Century Award application deadline: March 1.
- Floral Management Marketer of the Year: Judges look for unique, innovative and successful marketing efforts undertaken in the last 5 years to increase sales, customer base and/or customer perception of a business, including but not limited to advertising, direct mail, public relations, merchandising and display and image enhancement. The entry form requires a narrative of the campaign’s successes and sample sets of promotional materials if any were used. Marketer of the Year application deadline: June 1.
Due to Hurricane Irma forcing the cancelation of SAF Palm Beach 2017, SAF’s 133rd Annual Convention which was scheduled for this past September in Florida, the 2017 AAF, PFCI and Century Award recipients will be honored alongside the 2018 inductees at SAF Palm Springs 2018.
The 2017 AAF honorees are:
- Maggie Binet, AAF, AIFD, CPF, PFCI, of Le Jardin Binet in Englewood, Colorado
- Zoë Prosser Gallina, AAF, of Botanica International Design Studio in Tampa, Florida
- Jodi McShan, AAF of McShan Florist Inc., in Dallas, Texas
- Lynne Tischler, AAF, CPFD, PFCI of Your Enchanted Florist in St. Paul, Minnesota
The 2017 PFCI honorees are:
- Lesleighan Cravens, CFD, PFCI, of Tiger Garden in Columbia, Missouri
- Christopher Drummond, AAF, PFCI, of Plaza Flowers in Norristown, Pennsylvania
- Shawn Michael Foley, AIFD, PFCI, of HotHouse Design Studio in Birmingham, Alabama
- Julia YoungJu Kim, AIFD, PFCI, Hotel Inter-Burgo Exco FlowerShop in Deagu, South Korea
- Rocio Silva, AIFD, PFCI, of Instituto Mexicano Tecnio Floral in Monterrey, Nuevo leon, Mexico
- Lynne Tischler, AAF, CPFD, PFCI, of Your Enchanted Florist in St. Paul, Minnesota
The 2017 Century Award honorees are:
- Johnston’s Quality Flowers in Fort Smith, Arkansas
- Mitchell’s Flowers and Events in Orland Park, Illinois
- Wistinghausen Florist & Greenhouse in Oak Harbor, Ohio
Also in Palm Springs, SAF will celebrate the 2017 Alex Laurie Award recipient Paul A. Thomas, Ph.D., professor in the University of Georgia’s horticulture department.
SAF will announce and honor the 2017 Tommy Bright, Paul Ecke Jr., John H. Walker and Floriculture Hall of Fame Awards at SAF Palm Springs 2018. For information about SAF awards, contact SAF’s Jenester Corbin 703-838-5234; firstname.lastname@example.org.