Floral Designer – Floral Direct
1800Flowers.com is seeking an experienced floral designer who is passionate about flowers/ floral design and taking charge of managing a growing direct floral business into the next generation of innovative floral design.
• Knowledge of cut floral varieties, vase life, seasonality and floral costs.
• 8+ years’ experience as a floral designer.
• Experience and talent to develop new and innovative fresh floral designs in bouquet form while working within the Direct Floral guidelines and maintaining margin
• Knowledge and creative styling experience in fresh cut floral product on set.
• Capable of working in a fast-paced environment
• Must be a team player and be a successful cross-functionally partner
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs
• Available to travel
• Organized, detail-oriented, ability to multitask, strong mathematical skills, and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Be mindful of the timeline requirements to ensure that you meet all deliverables on time
• Work closely with the Senior Manager and Category Administrative Manager to assist in the development and maintenance of the database line list, gross margin calculations, etc.
• Attend trade fairs, evaluate the competition and determine product trends to include color, style, varieties and add-ons that are appropriate to the brand and the product category.
• Insure that the products are properly box fit and tested for finalization according to established requirements and timelines.
• Maintain a working knowledge of hard-good inventories for reorders, sell-through and obsolescence.
• Work closely with the Procurement team to acquire the best farm cost for the bouquet
• Responsible for weekly procurement meetings; taking the lead on phone calls and maintaining weekly agenda and recap
• Prepare product line for all presentations to management and the merchandising team.
• Collaborate with the Senior Manager and Merchandising team to identify the product needs for a balanced and refreshed quarterly product assortment.
• Work with Procurement to identify and source the raw materials (single variety and mixed bouquets) from the farms for development.
• Work with Procurement QA on a QA testing calendar for new varietal development for future market introductions. Work in season to obtain samples and insure adequate testing and photography while varieties are in season.
• Apply your experience as a floral designer to identify vases that represent the best choices as up-sells for individual bouquets based on current vase inventory. Provide recommendations for potential vase design options for future development.
• Provide direction to the Sourcing Team on viable vessels for development to include shape, dimensions, material and color.
• Work side by side with Senior Manager to ensure that product options meet QA and gross margin requirements prior to product commercialization and in preparation for finalization.
• Develop new and innovative ideas through competitive research, internet research, trade publications, consumer research, sales metrics, and design experience to enhance quarterly product assortments.
• Responsible for placing floral order from local wholesalers and processing. Lifting floral water buckets and clean up is also required.
Photography and Copy:
• Collaborate with the team Manager / Senior Manager on the development of the creative turnover documents for photography and copy for each LDL.
• Be prepared to speak on new designs for pre pro meetings to the photography and copy teams
• Check all floral components and hard goods are accurate and available prior to the photo shoot.
• Provide the floral stylist with direction on floral styling prior to the shoot.
• Oversee all post production photography and copy blocks for each LDL to ensure quality and accuracy
• Track competitive sites for pricing, offerings, and product differentiation
• Respond to floral substitutes to QA team when there are availability issues
• Travel to Miami and CA, trade shows working closely with floral farms
For more information on this position call Human Resources at 516-237-6000.